English Grammar and correct usage test – Sep 26, 2014
1. Four sentences on the same theme are given. Choose the best alternative that represents the sentence grammatically and logically correct.
a. Time is two way precious to be killed
b. Time is to way precious too be killed
c. Time is way too precious to be killed
d. Time is too away precious to being killed. View Answer / Hide Answer
ANSWER: c. Time is way too precious to be killed
2. The below given sentences have two words marked in bold. The meaning of both the words remains the same in context to the sentence, find the meaning for the words.
i. She made a list of things she would need and a separate
list of things she wanted to retrieve from the old house.
ii. He flipped backwards in the book to the portion
that no longer changed.
e. BreakView Answer / Hide Answer
3. There are 2 sentences given below with two homonyms typed in bold which may be either mis – spelt or inappropriate in the context of the sentences. Read both the sentences carefully and decide on their correctness on the basis of the bold words.
i. Most significant is the precedence
of the eruciform by the camp deiform type.
ii. For over 30 years, Compass gallery has set a precedent
of visiting all the Scottish shows.
a. If only sentence i is correct
b. If only sentence ii is correct
c. If both the sentences are correct
d. If both the sentences are incorrect but can be corrected by interchanging the words marked in bold.
e. If both the sentences are incorrect and cannot be interchanged as well.View Answer / Hide Answer
ANSWER: c. If both the sentences are correct
4. State the correct meaning of the underlined idiom in the below given sentence.
i. She threw caution to the winds
and drove very rashly.
a. To speak rudely
b. To scold
c. To feel sick
d. To act recklesslyView Answer / Hide Answer
ANSWER: d. To act recklessly
5. Choose the correct alternative that best represents the below given statement in one word.
i. A small dish for baking and serving food for one person.
d. RampageView Answer / Hide Answer
6. Choose the best alternative that closely represents the meaning of the underlined word in the below given sentence.
i. We then segue
into the title cut to on an island.
d. TerminusView Answer / Hide Answer
7. Complete the below given analogy.
i. Nurture : Neglect : : Denigrate : ?
d. CalumniateView Answer / Hide Answer
8. Choose the odd word out.
d. DeuceView Answer / Hide Answer
9. Choose the correct antonym for the word.
d. TameView Answer / Hide Answer
10. State the correct spelling of the below given word.
d. UrcheenView Answer / Hide Answer