English Grammar and correct usage test – Sep 27, 2014
1. Rearrange the alternatives between 1 and 6 to form a coherent paragraph.
1. Five main weather elements act upon rock.
A. It can be gradually eroded by airborne dust.
B. Rivers are immensely powerful destructive agencies – one has but to look at the grand Canyon to appreciate their enormous power
C. Frost and ice fracture rock.
D. The action of the seas, whether through the constant movements of tides or the pounding of heavy storm waves, remorselessly wears away the coastlines.
6. And such rocks as escape all these influences are worn away over the eons by the effect of rain.
d. BDCAView Answer / Hide Answer
2. Rearrange the given 5 sentences in proper sequence so as to form a meaningful paragraph and answer the questions given below.
A. Thus, India came into the family of nations with no prejudices or enmities’, ready to welcome and be welcomed.
B. Inevitably she had to consider her foreign policy in terms of enlightened self – interest, but at the same time she brought to it a touch of her idealism.
C. Even against her former rulers there was no bitterness left.
D. A greater advantage lay in the fact that she was not fettered by the past, by old enmities or old ties, by historic claims or traditional rivalries.
i. Which of the following should be the first sentence?
ii. Which of the following should be the third sentence?
iii. Which of the following should be the second sentence?
i. - C, ii. - B, iii. - A
i. - A, ii. - B, iii. - C
i. - D, ii. - A, iii. - CView Answer / Hide Answer
ANSWER: i. - D, ii. - A, iii. - C
3. The sentence given below is mentioned in Active/ Passive Voice. Choose the correct alternative that best expresses the sentence in Passive/ Active Voice.
i. I thought a beautiful dinner was going to be made by Sally tonight
a. I thought Sally was going to make a beautiful dinner tonight.
b. I thought Sally is going to make a beautiful dinner tonight.
c. I think Sally was going to make a beautiful dinner tonight.
d. I think Sally were going to make a beautiful dinner tonight.View Answer / Hide Answer
ANSWER: a. I thought Sally was going to make a beautiful dinner tonight.
4. Rearrange the following alternatives to form a logical and meaningful sentence.
A. all right thing to do, but perhaps
B. I find myself surprised
C. By the thought, that dying is an
D. It should not surprise.
d. BCDAView Answer / Hide Answer
5. The sentence given below is mentioned in Direct/ Indirect Speech. Choose the correct alternative that best expresses the sentence in Indirect/ Direct speech.
i. Jack told him to set his alarm before he went to bed.
a. Jack says, “Set your alarm before you go to bed.”
b. Jack said, “Set your alarm before you go to bed.”
c. Jack asked me to, “Set my alarm before I go to bed.”
d. Jack was saying, “That I should set my alarm before I go to bed.”View Answer / Hide Answer
ANSWER: b. Jack said, “Set your alarm before you go to bed.”
6. A sentence is divided into 4 parts. Choose which part of the sentence contains error.
a. If I would have known your arrival
b. I would certainly have informed my father
c. And both of us would have come to the airport
d. And taken you straight homeView Answer / Hide Answer
ANSWER: a. If I would have known your arrival
7. Two sentences are given below. Combine both the sentences in a way so that the meaning of both the sentence should remain the same. Choose the correct option.
She does not like pastel colours. She only paints with bold colours.
a. And hence
d. ButView Answer / Hide Answer
8. Complete the below mentioned sentence by choosing the best alternative that suits the sentence.
i. The core of brand equity is the loyalty of its customer base, ____________
a. The extent to which they would go to get the brand they are used to
b. But retaining old customers does not happen automatically
c. And we react to brands with more than logic, i.e. with emotion and intuition
d. That adds value to or subtracts value from a service.View Answer / Hide Answer
ANSWER: a. The extent to which they would go to get the brand they are used to
9. Choose the best alternative that can replace the underlined portion in the below given sentence.
i. I think Mukesh had something very useful to say, however, he was unable to communicate his point of view to a sceptical audience.
a. He failed to convince the a suspicious congregation
b. He could not convince the doubting audience
c. The audience was willing to accept his ideas
d. He did not change the minds of a very knowledgeable public in attendanceView Answer / Hide Answer
ANSWER: b. He could not convince the doubting audience
10. Fill in the blanks with the appropriate word to complete the following sentence by choosing the correct alternative.
i. Ravi was born _______ Nagpur _______ 2nd Jan, 07 _________4 in the morning
d. In…….on…..atView Answer / Hide Answer