1. What is the compression? Why is it necessary to compress files?
2. What is the meaning of multimedia? Give few examples.
3. Explain Data Compression problem. What are the components of that problem?
4. What are the system issues & performance criteria that have to be kept
5. What do you mean by lossless source coding?
6. Explain instantaneous variable length codes.
7. What do you mean by unique decipherability?
8. Using appropriate diagrams explain Huffman coding.
9. Information theory plays an important role in field of compression. Define
basic concepts of it.
10. What are non-binary Huffman codes?
11. Pour some light over Kraft Inequality & Optimality.
12. Explain line drawing compression.
13. What do you mean by entropy?
14. How entropy is related for the performance measures?
15. Write any three techniques for lossy compression.
16. Tell the taxonomy of compression techniques.
17. What do you mean by companded quantization?
18. What do you understand by modeling?
19. Give any two characteristics of a code.
20. Name the two types of quantization errors.
21. What are two types of adaptive quantization?
22. What do you mean by forward adaptive quantization? What is its
23. Pour some light over optimum prefix codes.
24. What are the applications of arithmetic coding?
25. Give few applications of LZW coding scheme.
26. What does static dictionary means?
27. Pour some light over shannon-fano coding.
28. What do you understand by Half-Toning in context of Fax?
29. Name few universal Lossless Sound compression algorithms.
30. What do you mean by Adaptivity & Universality?
31. What do you mean by Elias Coding?
32. Explain quantization.
33. What do you mean by scalar quantization? Name few schemes of scalar
34. What is vector quantization? How is it different from scalar quantization?
35. What do you mean by predictive coding?
36. Explain the linear prediction model.
37. What is Delta modulation & differential PCM?
38. What do you mean by perceptual weighting & postfiltering?
39. Name few linear predictive speech coding standards.
40. Explain frequency domain coding.
41. Compare wavelet coding with fractal coding.
42. Name few frequency domain speech & audio coding standards.
43. Explain MPEG-1 Audio compression standard.
44. What are the improvements in MPEG-2 audio over MPEG-1 audio compression?
45. Explain JPEG still image compression standard.
46. What is difference between JPEG & JPEG2000?
47. What do you understand by progressive encoding?
48. Name all modes in which a jpeg compression technique can work.
49. Is it possible to have a lossless compression over a still image using jpeg
50. What do you understand by multimedia conferencing?
51. Give few examples of multimedia conferencing standards.
52. Explain how delays in multimedia conferencing systems are dealt with?
53. Name few video compression standards. Which is currently best compression
standard available in the market?
54. Explain MPEG video compression standard.
55. What are the components of MPEG compression technique?
56. What is the role of syntactical layering in MPEG?
57. What do you mean by frequency domain decomposition?
58. Explain how temporal predictions are used in mpeg algorithm?
59. What do you understand by data rate of an audio or video stream?
60. What is sampling rate? What significance it play?
61. What does AAC standard for? Explain how it works?
62. What do you understand by rate distortion theory?
63. Define lossless channels.
64. What are the parameters used in silence compression?
65. Define vocoders.
66. Explain decimation & interpolation.
67. Why cutoff frequency for anti-aliasing filter is 7khz & 8khz?
68. How masking qualities of human ear is used in reducing number of bits in
69. Give the Nyquist rule.
70. What are the disadvantages of video compression?
71. Explain MPEG-7.
72. Describe the aims of MPEG-21.
1. What do you mean by multimedia? Name few of the broad categories multimedia
can be divided into. Also give few examples of each category.
2. Name few of the multimedia softwares that you came across till now.
3. What are multimedia hardwares? Give few examples.
4. What do you understand by multimedia authoring tools? Give few examples.
5. What MIME stands for? Give few examples.
6. What are the components of multimedia?
7. Explain scope of the multimedia.
8. Pour some light over Human Computer Interface.
9. What are the advantages of a digital media?
10. Give few examples of the digital audio procession hardware.
11. How compatible is multimedia with internet?
12. What do you understand by sampling rate?
13. What is MIDI?
14. What are the guidelines for effective use of audio in multimedia
15. What does OBEX stands for?
16. What is SVG & how it is different from VML?
17. Name few of the applications of multimedia.
18. What does CD stand for? Name few standards related to it.
19. How many minutes of audio & video can be stored over an audio cd &
video cd respectively?
20. Explain difference between bitmap & vector images.
21. What is the sampling rate of an audio cd?
22. What do you understand by persistence of vision?
23. Define Tweening.
24. What do you know about anti-aliasing?
25. What is difference between digital & analog data?
26. Describe time-based authoring.
27. What is the difference between video & animation?
28. Assume the following: We have a 20 second video clip that displays at 30
frames a second. The video's dimensions are 640x480 and the video is created in
"true" color (3 bytes per pixel). What is the file size of the video?
29. In traditional video (tape) there is a standard code to provide exact
synchronization. Which of the following is NOT part of that code?
30. What do you mean by rigging?
31. What does VGA & SVGA stand for? Explain both of them.
32. Name few of the digital picture compression techniques.
33. Explain RGB color space model. What is RGBA? How it is different from RGB?
34. What does JBIG stands for? Compare JPEG with JBIG.
35. What is YCrCb?
36. Name few of the techniques used for digital video compression.
37. Give a brief overview of MPEG1 standard.
38. What does I, P & B frames stand for (in context of MPEG1)?
39. Explain QuickTime. How is it different from MPEG?
40. What is wavelet compression technique?
41. Compare Fractal compression with wavelet compression.
42. Pour some light over MPEG7.
43. Give few examples of optical drives you know.
44. Which optical media has the highest capacity?
45. Explain CD-I.
46. Explain DVI.
47. Compare CD-ROM XA with CD-I.
48. Explain Digital Video Disc.
49. Name few of the organizations that played important role in the development
of CD ROM Technology.
50. What is multimedia conferring?
51. Explain H.320 multimedia conferencing standards.
52. What do you know about IPTV?
53. Explain Mosaics.
54. Name few of the music synthesizing instruments.