GK > Indian history
1. Who founded the famous weekly newspaper Al-Hilal?
a.) Khan Abdul Gaffar Khan
b.) Mohammad Ali Jinnah
c.) Abul Kalam Azad
d.) Maulana Kidwai
ANSWER - Abul Kalam Azad
2. Mahatma Gandhi was the editor of:
a.) National Herald
b.) Deccan Herald
c.) Young India
ANSWER - Young India
3. Satyagraha was started by Gandhiji in 1919 to protest against which event?
a.) Rowlatt Act
b.) Salt Act
c.) Jallian Walla Bagh
d.) World war
ANSWER - Rowlatt Act
4. Who was the first person to refer to Mahatama Gandhi as Father of Nation?
a.) Sardar Vallabh Bhai Patel
b.) Subhas Chandra Bose
c.) Maulana Abdul Kalam Azaad
d.) Lala Lajpat Rai
ANSWER - Subhas Chandra Bose
5. Who propounded the theory of economic drain of India during British
a.) C.V. Raman
b.) C. Rajgopalachari
c.) Dadbhai Naroji
d.) W.C. Bannerjee
ANSWER - Dadbhai Naroji
6. The Indian National Army formed by Subhas Chandra Bose was first recognised
ANSWER - Singapore
7. When was “Panchsheel” agreement signed by India and China?
ANSWER - 1954
8. When were the Calcutta, Madras and Bombay High Courts established?
ANSWER - 1861
9. Which was the first irrigation canal completed during British Rule?
a.) Lower Chenab Canal
b.) Lower Gangotri Canal
c.) The Ganges Canal
d.) Agra Canal
ANSWER - Agra Canal
10. Who founded the Muslim League in India?
a.) Mohd. Ali Jinnah
b.) Nawab Salimulla
c.) Mohd. Bakhtiyar
d.) Asif Ali Kidwai
ANSWER - Nawab Salimulla
11. When was Muslim League formed?
ANSWER - 1906
12. When was the direct telegraph line between India and England established?
ANSWER - 1870
13. When was the Public Service Commission for recruitment to Public Services
ANSWER - 1925
14. When was the Bill of India’s Independence passed by British parliament?
a.) August 14, 1947
b.) August 1, 1947
c.) July 1, 1947
d.) June 30,1947
ANSWER - July 1, 1947
15. When was Vande Mataram first sung at a session of Indian National Congress?
ANSWER - 1896
16. Which title did Mahatma Gandhi surrender to British government during
a.) Kaiser- e- Hind
b.) Hind Kesari
ANSWER - Kaiser- e- Hind
17. When did Quit India Movement start?
a.) August 5, 1942
b.) August 7, 1942
c.) August 8, 1942
d.) August 9, 1942
ANSWER - August 8, 1942
18. Who was the founder of Indian National Congress?
a.) Motilal Nehru
b.) Jawahar Lal Nehru
c.) A.O. Hume
d.) W.C. Bannerjee
ANSWER - A.O. Hume
19. When was the partition of Bengal annulled?
ANSWER - 1911
20. When was Ilbert Bill introduced?
ANSWER - 1883
1) The competitive examination for civil service was accepted in which year?
ANSWER : 1853
2) The Vijayanagara ruler, Kirshnadev Raya’s work Amuktamalyada was written in:
ANSWER : Telugu
3) The treaty of Mangalore was signed between:
a) The English East India Company and Haidar Ali.
b) The English East India Company and Tipu Sultan.
c) Haidar Ali and the Zamorin of Calicut.
d) The French East India Company and Tipu Sultan.
ANSWER : The English East India Company and Tipu Sultan
4) Which two great Mughals wrote their own memories?
a) Babar and Humayun.
b) Humayun and Jahangir.
c) Babar and Jahangir.
d) Jahangir and Shahjahan.
ANSWER : Babar and Jahangir
5) Lion capitol belongs to which king at Sarnath?
ANSWER : Ashoka
6) In which century did spinning wheel (charkha) became common?
a) 9th century.
b) 10th century.
c) 12th century.
d) 14th century.
ANSWER : 14th century
7) What was the language of discourses of Gautama Buddha?
ANSWER : Pali
8) In which state did Velu Thampi led a revolt against the British?
ANSWER : Travancore
9) Under the Mountbatten Plan of 1947 the people of …………….. were given the right
to decide through a plebiscite whether they wished to join Pakistan or India.
d) N.W.F.P and the Sylhet district of Assam.
ANSWER : N.W.F.P and the Sylhet district of Assam
10) Who among the following were the major powers that emerged in southern India
in the 7th century AD?
d) All of these.
ANSWER : All of these
11) What was the title given by British Government to Mahatma Gandhi which he
surrendered during the non-cooperation movement?
a) Hind Keasri.
c) Rai Bahadur.
ANSWER : Kaiser-e-Hind
12) Tipu Sultan was the ruler of:
ANSWER : Mysore
13) The Vedas contain all the truth was interpreted by:
a) Swami Vivekananda.
b) Swami Dayananda.
c) Raja Ram Mohan Roy.
d) None of these.
ANSWER : Swami Dayananda
14) Tulsidas, the author of Ramcharitmanas, was the contemporary of which of the
d) Sher Shah Suri.
ANSWER : Akbar
15) In whose region was Ustad Mansur a famous painter?
ANSWER : Jahangir
16) Pulakesin II was the most famous ruler of:
ANSWER : Chalukyas
17) All India Muslim League was set up under whose leadership?
a) Mohammed Ali Jinnah.
b) Sayyid Ahmed Khan.
c) Aga Khan.
d) All of these.
ANSWER : Aga Khan
18) Which among the following can tell us about the early Vedic period?
b) The Rig Veda.
c) Jatak Katha.
d) Contemporary culture.
ANSWER : The Rig Veda
19) The Upanishads are:
a) A source of Hindu philosophy.
b) Books of ancient Hindu laws.
c) Books of social behaviour of man.
d) Prayers of God.
ANSWER : A source of Hindu philosophy
20) Why the year 788 AD was a good one for Hinduism?
a) Shankracharya was born that year.
b) Harsha Vardhana, the last Buddhist King died.
c) Samudragupta converted to Hinduism.
d) All Muslim invaders were defeated.
ANSWER : Shankracharya was born that year